Job Description – Stone Artisan
American Stonecraft is one of New England’s favorite places to buy gifts and home decor. Our story is part Farming, part Geology, and the rest, as they say, is History. With over eight years in business, we’ve created a unique recipe that is fun to share as a maker. We are hiring one stone artisan to join our Lowell workshop on a full time schedule.
A stone artisan is first and foremost a steward of old-fashioned quality. We’ve developed a number of innovative tools and processes to make unique products from sustainably harvested local boulders. Your job is to help make these beautiful goods in our well equipped shop. You will lift and cut rocks weighing up to 40 lbs, and ideal work experience could include carpentry, auto mechanic, machinery repair, welder, manufacturing, construction, a trade, stone masonry or stone polishing.
We’re a small studio (less than 6 people overall) with worldwide clientele. Whether you already know our handcrafted products or just love to work with your hands; if you like to listen to music or podcasts while you work alone and make appreciated art, we want you to join our team!
The Artisan will work with his or her hands to cut and polish stones into our finished products including: Slabs, Coasters, and Bowls. The work is repetitive but the geology of the stones we work with adds a colorful variety to each workday.
Daily Tasks Include:
- Cut raw stones
- Polish and hone sawn stones into Coasters, Cook Slabs, and Food Slabs
- Sculpt and polish Bowlders
- Preventative and ad-hoc maintenance
- Finish products by applying resin, feet, and buffing
- Organize and label stock and in-process work
- Clean workstation and workshop at the end of shift, keeping tools in designated areas
- Follow opening and closing procedures
- Pack boxes and prepare shipping
- Enter data in spreadsheets and other software programs
- Assist in other shop functions when needed
- Positive attitude
- Motivated by high quality craftsmanship
- Available to travel to Lowell M-F 5 days per week
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment or skilled trade
- Some English (Hablamos Espanol tambien)
- Lift up to 40 lbs
- Ability to work on your feet 8 hours per day
- Paid Time Off
- Because we are a small employer that does not offer health insurance plans directly, you can either qualify for MassHealth (unlikely because your income will be too high) or more likely, buy a cheap/subsidized health plan on the MA health connector, meaning you basically get very inexpensive but high quality healthcare coverage.
Ways to contact us:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 978-254-7625
- Or, drop off your cover letter and resume at the workshop:
American Stonecraft, Inc. – A Benefit Corporation
133 Congress St. Lowell, MA
Job Type: Full-time
Starting salary range : $17.50 – $25.00 per hour (depending on experience)