Job Description – Stone Artisan
American Stonecraft is one of New England’s favorite places to buy gifts. Great gifts speak to their recipients, and celebrate what they care about most. A favorite place, or a local farm, something natural, and friendly on the environment. Great gifts are the reason so many of our recipients, later turn to us for their own gifting.
Our story is part Farming, part Geology, and the rest, as they say, is History. With over eight years in business, we’ve created a unique recipe that is fun to share as a maker. We are hiring one stone artisan to join our Lowell workshop on a full time schedule.
A stone artisan is first and foremost a steward of old-fashioned quality. We’ve developed a number of innovative tools and processes to make unique products from sustainably harvested local boulders. Your job is to help make these beautiful goods in our well equipped shop. You will lift and cut rocks weighing up to 40 lbs, and ideal work experience could include being an auto mechanic, machinery operator or repair person, welder, manufacturing technician, carpenter, plumber, electrician, stone mason or stone fabricator.
We’re a small studio (less than 6 people overall) with worldwide clientele. Whether you already know our handcrafted goods or just love to work with your hands; if you like to listen to music or podcasts while you work alone and make appreciated art, we want you to join our team!
The Artisan will work with his or her hands to cut and polish stones into finished products including: Slabs, Coasters, and Bowls. The work is repetitive but the geology of the stones we work with adds a colorful variety to each workday.
Daily Tasks Include:
- Cut raw stones
- Polish and hone stones for serving, cooking, or decorating.
- Sculpt and polish bowlders
- Preventative and ad-hoc maintenance
- Finish products by applying resin, feet, and buffing
- Organize and label stock and in-process work
- Clean workstation and workshop at the end of shift,
- Organize tools according to standards
- Follow opening and closing procedures
- Pack boxes and prepare shipping docs
- Enter data in spreadsheets and other software programs
- Assist in other shop projects as needed
- Positive attitude, make it a great day mentality
- Motivated by high quality craftsmanship
- Adjustable pressure radial arm polisher
- Hand working tables with exhaust ventilation and water quick connects
- Pneumatic and electric grinders and polishers
- 36″ one axis saw
- 24″ two axis saw
- Tile saws (2 axis miter and 2 axis bowl cutting saw)
- 24″ and 12″ splitter
- Carts and lifts
- OSHA approved safety standards
- Available to work in Lowell M-F 5 days per week
- Some English (Hablamos Espanol tambien)
- Lift up to 40 lbs
- Ability to work on your feet 8 hours per day
- Previous experience in a manufacturing or skilled trade recommended
- 2 Weeks Paid Time Off
- As a small employer not offer health insurance plans, you can either qualify for MassHealth (unlikely because your income will likely be above qualifying levels) or purchase a subsidized health plan on the MA Healthcare Connector marketplace. There are many inexpensive but high quality healthcare plans available as Massachusetts had a healthcare plan marketplace before most other states.
Ways to contact us:
- Email: Gerald@AmericanStonecraft.com
- Phone: 978-254-7625
- Or, drop off your cover letter and resume at the workshop:
American Stonecraft, Inc. – A Benefit Corporation
133 Congress St. Lowell, MA
Job Type: Full-time
Starting salary range : $17.50 – $25.00 per hour (depending on experience)